Friday, October 27, 2006

End of week meme from Pea Soup

1. Flip to page 18, paragraph 4 - in the book closest to you right now, what does it say?

At these advances Winterbourne goes back in his shell, telling her that he has engagements which will force him to go back to Geneva the very next day. Daisy is greatly piqued by this information. She thinks him horrid - and not without reason, for his conduct and demeanour have led her to believe that he is interested in her. There can be no other reason for his sudden departure than the presence of another woman in Geneva! Daisy has, of course, unwittingly hit the mark and Winterbourne is bewildered by her perspicacity and also by her 'extraordinary mixture of innocence and crudity'. Finally, she tells him that she will stop 'teasing' him if he will promise to come to Rome in the winter. Winterbourne, whose plans already include visiting his aunt in Rome at that time, has no difficulty in agreeing.

Ok, that was actually paragraph three because there wasn't a fourth. It is from Daisy Miller by Henry James. It is an extremely overdue library book.

2. If you stretch out your left arm - as far as possible, what are you touching?

My office whiteboard.


3. What's the last program you watched on TV?

I can't remember. We don't get any channels on our TV, we just watch DVDs. The last downloaded TV program I watched on our computer was the Daily Show, or maybe South Park.

4. Without looking, guess what time it is.

9:25. It is 9:27. That is crazy!

5. Except the computer, what can you hear right now?

The HVAC and This American Life from WBEZ and Public Radio International

6. When was the last time you were outside and what did you do?

I was walking from my favorite bakery, the Essential Baking Company, to my car with an order of Mille Grane toast with raspberry jam and butter and a double grande decaf latte. It is a beautiful morning, cloudy, but with a warmish wind.

7. What are you wearing?

A three quarter sleeve v-neck sweater that is celery, olive and light blue, dark jeans, light blue socks with a boxy geometric design that includes sparkly blue thread and last but not least my black Birki clogs (they aren't sexy, but they are comfy and keep my feet warm and dry).


8. Did you dream last night? If you did, what about?

I had a dream about finding this sweater/shirt at a store and really liking it. I knew it was my size, but it was so incredibly tight. I thought, well, it must be the fashion. Then I was talking to a sales person and they said it was only made in small and medium. (I am no where near a small or medium). Oh, I thought, and checked the tag and sure enough it was a medium. I was rather sad.

9. When was the last time you laughed?

This morning. When I went in to say good morning to my daughter she crawled up into my lap and then she pushed back on me, so I laid down on her bed and then did a sit up with her on me, then she pushed me back again. We both thought it was pretty silly.

10. What's on the walls, in the room you're in right now?

White board, metal shelves and cupboards, hideous putty colored paint that sucks the very life out of the room.

11. Have you seen anything strange lately?

Four or five days ago at about 830pm (well after dark), I saw a boy who looked to be about 12-14 years old standing next to a six lane road. He threw something small into the street, waited for cars to pass, then ran out and picked whatever it was up. He just stood in the little strip pavement that is not a lane, but is part of the street. He wasn't even standing on the sidewalk. He was wearing dark clothes. We were outside a restaurant, so I thought maybe he was waiting for someone to come out or pick him up. I waited for about 15 minutes. I was just so afraid he was going to get hurt. I called the police to go check on him, to see if they could help him or give him a ride home. I hope that I wasn't being a busy body.


12. What do you think about this meme?

I must admit I've wanted to do one for a while. This is thought provoking.

13. What's the last film you saw?

On DVD, Click. In the theatre, Little Miss Sunshine.

14. If you became a multimillionaire, what would you do with the money?

Pay off the bills. Replace everything with environmentally friendly stuff. Setup college scholarships for the children of all of our friends. Buy a house for my brother and father. Go to school. Setup a scholarship for kids from the high school I graduated from (it is a school where no one is really expected to go to college). Travel extensively. And the list goes on.

15. Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know.

This is tough. The one thing that keeps coming into my mind, and it isn't pretty, is that I have been molested, raped and fondled at different times in my life by five different people. I used to wonder if I had a sign on my forehead or something.


16. If you could change ONE THING in this world, without regarding politics or bad guilt - what would it be?


Every child would be loved as much as I love my daughter.

17. Do you like dancing?

I think so, yes.

18. George Bush?

I despise him. He disgusts me. That he is in office and people still believe in him and his policies makes me feel physically ill at times. My favorite anti-Bush bumper sticker reads "George W. Bush is a lying sack of shit." I think that is enough for now.

19. What do you want your children's names to be, girl/boy?

The other names we were considering for Fiona were, Athena, Genevieve, Catherine, Sophia, Ian, Liam, Ethan, and Aidan. There were others, but those are the only ones I remember.


20. Would you ever consider living abroad?

Yes. I would love to live abroad. I spent 3 months in Japan, does that count?

21. What do you want God to tell you, when you come to heaven?

I'm not really expecting there to be God or heaven, so if there was, I guess I would hope that he would say good on you for being true to yourself.

22. Who should do this meme?

Anyone who wishes to.

No comments: