Sunday, June 01, 2008

Something learned

I am in my late thirties, my very late thirties, and I think that I have finally learned something very important. Planning is the key to success. What do I mean by success? Well, I mean actually paying bills on time, paying off debt, eating healthful homemade food, getting places on time, having savings, having a garden, and the list goes on. I admit that I am somewhat adverse to planning, and I have found that that attitude makes things very difficult at times. It actually makes things rather chaotic.

When I was young I was surrounded by chaos and to combat that I became very regimented about how I did things. I would even go so far as to say I was obsessive-compulsive about "a place for everything and everything in it's place." I broke with that chaos in my mid-twenties and ever since then I haven't been regimented about anything. It is so strange; with chaos, I imposed order, without chaos, I impose chaos. Recently I've noticed, time and again, that planning seems to be the only way to accomplish the things I want to accomplish.

When I started the Riot for Austerity I was quite good at planning in order to meet goals, but it fell by the wayside. I tripped up and became discouraged and fell farther and farther behind, and felt guiltier and guiltier. I will work on starting again after I fall. I read on a quilting website once that you should "Never try to catch up, just keep working." I think that is something good for me to remember. I am currently impressed with Celtic Mommy and her 101 things in 1001 days. I've started a list for myself based on hers, but I'm focusing on things to do within the next year.

Anyway, I am going to try adding more planning into my life. (My internal editor is screaming at me that I am a joke and this is a joke and I am pathetic, etc. Well, I say, f*ck off.) I have committed to posting to my What Grows There blog twice a week because it is pretty easy. I will commit to posting to this blog once a week.

So, I have figured something out, but now I have to figure out how to incorporate it in my life and keep it there.

No comments: