Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So Many Different Ways To Look At Something

Here are some pictures of a gauge swatch in the round of my first attempt at Fair Isle or stranded knitting.

Here is a close up. I was basically just experimenting. The topmost row of stitches was knitting with both yarns for each stitch. I didn't like how it turned out. I have to say that this was the most fun I've ever had doing a gauge swatch. I didn't want to stop.



Here is the whole swatch.

I just love the spaghetti-ness of the back of a gauge swatch in the round. It's messiness is of course compounded by having three different yarns.



Here is what the wrong side looks like. To badly paraphrase something I once read on the Yarn Harlot's blog, the back is as beautiful and interesting as the front.


The swatch is for a hat that I am in the process of knitting. It's the first thing I've ever knit for myself! I've added a bit of yarn that was the first and only yarn I've ever spun on a wheel. It is quite the work in progress as I keep changing everything.

I have to say that I am really enjoying this yarn though. It is Jamieson's DK Shetland Wool. The colors are Peacock, Sage and Plum if I remember correctly. I don't have the ball bands at hand. I'm knitting on Brittany birch 3.75mm/US 5 dpns. It just feels really good to hold these needles with this yarn.

No comments: