Thursday, January 10, 2008

Matinee Jacket for baby M


I knit a baby sweater in the Matinee Jacket pattern from Baby Knits Vogue Knitting On The Go (the book is out of print but still available at the library, etc). It is a lace pattern that is pretty simple really. I started in March and finished in July. It was knit with 2+ skeins of Dalegarn Baby Ull in white on US size 2 and size 3 needles. The reason I say 2+ skeins is there was a lot left of the third skein. I did modify the pattern somewhat. I did some fiddling so that the lace holes lined up from the bottom of the arm holes up, otherwise things would have shifted and looked wonky to me. I didn't graft the collar onto the jacket. I suck at grafting and have developed a great fear of it. I did a three needle bind off. I don't know if I would do it again. It made the neckline really rigid and the collar wants to flip up all the time, but who is looking at the collar when a cute baby wears the sweater, right?

This was my most difficult undertaking ever in the realm of knitting. There were times when I knit an entire row, that would be 203 stitches just so you know, incorrectly and I would have to go back and take them all out and redo them. Please note this happened more than once. The right front has an extra row in it. I didn't notice it until I was done with the left front. I looked at it and decided no one would notice.

The baby who received the sweater was a month old when it was done. The sweater was also given to him on the hottest day of the summer. Oh well. It fit him well, and he was able to wear it well into the beginning of fall. His mother and his grandmother both liked it very much, and that was what mattered to me.

No comments: