Monday, December 18, 2006

Oh dear

It has been a week since I last posted. I've been posting less frequently because I know it is much more interesting when there are pictures. But, I suppose some text without pictures is more interesting than nothing new at all.

We lost power during the big storm here last Thursday. It was gone for about 17 hours. I have a friend who is still without power. She and her family are staying at different peoples houses over night. What fun.

I started the socks for Fiona last week. The colors are perfect. I just turned the heel of my very first sock. It is magic. A coworker showed me a lovely way to pick up the stitches on the side of the heel flap. I feel like a real knitter!

Last week I made a point of taking my knitting with me everywhere even when I didn't think I would have time. I pulled into a Starbucks drive through that was quite backed up. I pulled out my knitting (and turned off the car). I felt like a real knitter!

I went to pick up some take out food. It wasn't quite ready yet, I pulled out my knitting and instantly dropped a stitch. I fumbled in my little bag for the crochet hook I have for just such emergencies. My little bag then spilled all around my feet. I recovered the stitch, although in the process of recovering that one I lost two more. All stitches were recovered. My little bag repacked. I knit three or four stitches and the food was ready. I felt like a crappy knitter.

I always hope that when I knit in public it will inspire someone else to pick up what they have set aside, or get someone intrigued enough to learn how to knit. It isn't that I think I am an inspirational knitter. I'm not. I think I may have finished six or seven things in my lifetime. The reason I hope to inspire people is that I think knitting is so engulfing, so amazing, that if everyone would do it, they would see how incredible it is and then there would be world peace, or something.

Christmas is looming. I hope to have all of the handmade gifts done. The socks may end up as a post Christmas gift. A scarf for someone was finished. I have 1/4 of a face cloth to finish. A special knitted item, that cannot be described because the recipient may read this blog and would know, has yet to be cast on, but it is doable. I have the fabric for a doll's quilt and some kanzashi barettes a la Spangle and my little mochi. It will all work, somehow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! you got some pretty yarntini yarn! can't wait to see how it knits up. & hey thanks! for visiting my blog - i used plain old sugar & cream cotton for those circular cloths :)

Pikku- Kettu said...

I just popped in to wish you a Merry Christmas! :)

Caro said...

Happy knitting!

Thanks for the kind comments on my blog. :)