Thursday, October 04, 2007

Out sick

Ugh. Back to back illnesses. I'm feeling better though finally. My sinuses began to feel bruised on Saturday and I thought that surely antibiotics were in my future, but I visited a new naturopath and she dispensed some herbs/supplements and sold me a neti pot. I've done nasal irrigation before, but the pot makes it easier.

My hold for Heat: How to Stop the Planet From Burning by George Monbiot arrived at the library. I'm going to finish a couple of other books before I start reading it though. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is a very good, but very disturbing book. Here are a couple of statistics that shocked me. One-third of American children eat at a fast food restaurant everyday. Fifteen to thirty percent of feedlot cows sent to slaughter have abscessed livers. Just as a reminder, "[The liver is] like a factory that makes vital substances (such as albumin and factors that help with blood clotting). It cleanses the body of toxins and bacteria. It produces bile that helps digest food. The healthy liver also gathers and stores important substances for your body to use later, such as sugar and vitamins." via USDVA

No comments: